Thursday, August 16, 2012

Celebrate Yourself!


GUESS WHAT!  Yesterday a book fairy dropped off a big box of books on my front doorstep!  Okay, fine.  It was the mailman and it was a box of books I ordered from Amazon (but just between you and me...it felt like a book fairy had actually come to my house!).  You probably remember how excited I get about books so it should be easy for you to imagine me sitting down in the middle of my living room and ripping open the box.  As soon as I had wrestled all that paper tape off out poured a river of books right into my lap!  I gently picked up each book, examined its front cover, read the title and displayed each of them, one by one, around me.  The hard part was deciding which one to read first!  I chose to read this one first:



I chose to read this book first because the cover was a SHOW STOPPER and inside the book jacket it said, "This jumping, jazzy, joyful picture book by the award-winning team of Walter Dean and Christopher Myers celebrates every child and every thing that child can be."  Well, celebrating children and every thing they can be is what I live for (personal connection!) so I dove right in and read it.

And guess what!  It was awesome...jazzy and joyful to say the least!  The book is about celebrating you and all the unique things that make you the person you are.  The authors suggest you "Think of all the things you do and all the things they say" about who you are.  I decided to try it and here is what I saw...


I looked in the mirror and what did I see?

I saw a...

DAUGHTER
SISTER
FRIEND
MOTHER
COLLEGE GRADUATE
TEACHER
WRITER
EXPLORER
GARDENER
SKIER
READER
NATURE LOVER

What do you see when you look in the mirror?  I would love to know.  Stop by the classroom this Fall and read Looking Like me.  I know you will love it too!




.

No comments: